Most people prefer installing carpets because of the softness and comfort it brings to a home. However, since carpets tend to trap dirt, dust and odors and can provide a breeding ground for mold and bacteria, cleaning carpets regularly is important to help them stay in good condition. Since replacing carpets every now and then can be prove to be a costly affair, learning about some simple carpet cleaning secrets is one of the best way to keep your carpet looking clean and fresh for extended periods of time.
Secrets to Keep Your Carpet Clean
#1: Treat Stains Immediately
No matter how much effort you take to keep your carpet clean, your carpet will eventually become a victim of spills, drops of accidents. However, instead of running to get chemical solutions and brushes to attack the carpet stain, treating the stain immediately and learning the proper way of cleaning the stains is one of the best kept secret that can help keep your carpet looking new. Listed below are some simple tips for cleaning stains thoroughly without damaging your carpet.
· Do not scrub the stain. Blot the stain with plain water. Allow the water to work into the fibers of carpet and then blot until the stain is removed.
· Instead of using carpet cleaning chemicals, try removing the stain using vinegar. Combine equal quantities of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray the solution on the stained area. After 10- 15 minutes, use a clean sponge to soak the solution and stain.
· To remove dried chewing gum from the carpet, freeze the gum for about 30 seconds using ice cubes. When the gum is frozen solid, lift the glob using a spoon and cut carpet strands as close to the gum as possible.
· To get rid of grease stains from the carpet, use dish washing detergent in a spray bottle and spray it on the stain. Blot it up gently. Repeat the process several times for larger stains.
· To remove blood stains from carpet, use hydrogen peroxide. First use water combined with mild detergent to loosen up dried blood. Gently trying scraping the blood from the fibers as much as you can. Apply hydrogen peroxide to the remaining blood stain. Do not panic when the solution foams. Use towels to dry hydrogen peroxide from the carpet.
· To clean pet stains, opt for organic carpet cleaners. Spray the cleaner on the spot and scrub gently. Wipe the cleaner using towel or cloth.
· To remove candy from the carpet, first try removing it using a butter knife or a spotter brush. Then, combine water with mild soap and apply this mixture using a sponge. After removing the candy, dry the spot by blotting it towels or cloth.
#2: Remove your Shoes
Always remove your shoes before walking on the carpet. The fact that the sole of your shoes carries all the dirt and grime of the outside world, walking on the carpet wearing shoes can cause everything to be transferred onto the carpet, making your carpet dirty and soiled. Removing your shoes at the door every time is one of a simple secret that can help your carpet stay clean.
#3: Place mats both outside and inside
Keep a mat on both the exterior and interior of each door in a home. While placing a mat outside can help remove large debris from your shoes, placing a mat indoors helps remove most of the smaller particles. Creating a barricade between the traffic and your carpet will help reduce the accumulation of dust, dirt and stains on the carpet that can otherwise damage the fragile carpet fibers
Carpets that are not vacuumed regularly can cause debris built up making your carpet look unappealing , stain more easily and shorten its lifespan. Vacuuming your carpet regularly is one of the top secrets that can help your carpet stay fresh and clean. Regular vacuuming helps remove all the dirt and debris settled on the carpet from getting embedded deep into the fibers. Carpet manufacturers recommend vacuuming once weekly or more often in high traffic areas.
#5: DIY Steam Cleaning
Investing in a good carpet steamer is the secret of keeping your carpet looking new. Opting for a diy steam cleaning will not only help remove all the grime, dirt and stains from your carpet effectively, but will also helps extend the life of your carpet. In addition, choosing to do get the cleaning job done yourself can prove to be more economical than hiring professional carpet l cleaning services.
#6: Don’t walk on the carpet barefoot
Apart from not wearing shoes on the carpet, it is important that you avoid walking barefoot on the carpet. This is because the oils from the skin of the bottom of your feet get transferred on to the carpet, leaving behind a small residue. This residue attracts the dirt and debris, making the carpet dirty and soiled. To prevent the accumulation of dirt and dust, walk on the carpet wearing comfy house slippers or some cozy socks.
#7: Clean you vacuum
The dirt and debris that your vacuum sucks during the carpet cleaning process tends to get accumulated inside the cleaner. Therefore, cleaning your vacuum regularly according to the instruction manual can keep it in good working condition and help you clean your carpet efficiently.
#8: Hire a professional
One of the best kept secret for cleaning carpets is to have your carpets cleaned professionally once in 12 to 18 months depending upon the use. Hiring a professional cleaner to deep clean your carpet is highly recommended to help keep your carpet looking clean and new. Seek advice from your friends and family about choosing the right company for cleaning your carpet. In addition, ensure that the company you choose not only cleans your carpet safely, but also moves and puts back the furniture in place. Carpet cleaning is an important step that can help keep your carpet healthy and well maintained. Taking the time and putting in some effort to treat your carpet, can go a long way in helping it look beautiful and last for many years.