Want to learn how you can use baking soda for carpet cleaning? Because of many side effects of modern cleaning techniques, many households in Singapore have resolved to the use of natural carpet cleaning methods. Proper cleaning and care of the house are no longer dependent on harsh chemical cleaning only.
Most of the commercial cleaners have become destructive and abrasive, thereby causing bad side effects that affect people. They end up compromising the health of people and expose them to respiratory problems and other skin diseases.
As such, more and more people in Singapore are turning to natural carpet cleaning solutions such as baking soda. It is not only a safe cleaning agent but also a versatile one that you can use in other ways.
Also known as bicarbonate soda, baking soda is present in most organic life forms as a naturally occurring material. It is possible to make the solution at home with the use of soda ash or sodium carbonate. You only have to take the soda ash and dissolve it completely in a solution of carbon dioxide. This will bring out precipitation of baking soda as the end product.
There are different non-poisonous products that can be used for carpet cleaning. Baking soda happens to be an effective cleaner apart from the normal use of vinegar.
• It is not toxic like other cleaning solutions. Even if it is eaten by mistake, baking soda is not poisonous and may only make you feel unpleasant for some time. This makes it a perfect cleaning solution for the carpet.
• It is very cheap and affordable for any ordinary household. If you opt to purchase it in large amounts (large boxes,) it will end up costing less compared to other existing cleaning agents.
• Baking soda is a multi-purpose cleaning solution that has several other uses apart from carpet cleaning. Apart from household cleaning, it can also be used in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry, and general cleaning of the house.
If you notice that your carpet has a smell that has been caused by stains, pet odor, or the effects of foot traffic, the use of baking soda will come in handy. It is not irritating to the eyes and is safe for both the pets and humans.
The following are important steps that you can take to ensure that the carpet is cleaned thoroughly using baking soda:
• It is important to vacuum the carpet first so that the dust and dirt are completely removed. Vacuuming will make sure all the particles, loose fibers, and dirt are removed. As soon as you are ready, inform the household members of the cleaning so that there is no more traffic during the process.
• Before you do the application, you can transfer the solution to a larger shaker so that the distribution is even. Baking soda is a solution that can be very clumpy when it is being used. Also, make sure that you use a fresh solution that has been opened from a new carton if you want to get the best results.
• Proceed to sprinkle the baking soda in the area where you want to treat. If the carpet is large, it will be advisable to divide it into sections so that all areas are cleaned. The baking soda should completely cover the carpet because the solution is not harmful to pets or humans.
• With the help of a scrub that is dry, proceed to scrub the solution to the carpet. Make sure that it goes deeper into the fibers and goes all the way to the bottom. If you notice that the carpet is shaggy or long, you can also use a sponge so that the solution goes deep. At this juncture, ensure that nobody walks on the carpet so that the absorption process does not interfere.
• Let the carpet soak with the soda for several hours. It is important to know that the longer it sits, the better the outcome. The purpose of the baking soda is to neutralize and absorb the smell, particles, and dust. This is unlike other cleaning agents that only soak and cover the dirt.
• If you notice any spaces on the carpet that have not been covered by the solution, fill it up so that all parts are completely soaked.
• The last step is to vacuum the baking soda slowly. This should be done gradually by covering each section of the carpet. The solution will come right up leaving the carpet cleaner to dry.
There are carpets that will require more than the ordinary cleaning process because of the tough smell. With this type of carpet, it is important to sniff it first after you are through with the initial treatment. If there is still some bad small coming, a second treatment will be inevitable.
In this case, the use of baking soda alone might not be as effective as you wish. Therefore, it will be important to shampoo the carpet first before you do the baking soda treatment. This will increase the chances of eliminating the bad smell and dirt completely. If there is no shampoo, another appropriate alternative is the use of white vinegar that has been mixed with water.
After washing the carpet, make sure that it is completely dry before you begin the process of cleaning with baking soda.
Alternatively, you can also scent the baking soda if you are dealing with very smelly carpets. The fresh scent will help to dilute the old smell. You can add drops of essential oil to the baking soda and then stir. Apart from cedar, other notable fresh scents that will be of help include lavender, lemongrass, and eucalyptus.
Carpet cleaning is not as simple and easy affair because of the different issues involved. Cleaning the carpet involves a lot of steps if you want to get rid of the debris and dust from the inside areas of the carpet.
In the end, you also want to maintain the good looks of your carpet so that it doesn’t look old. This is why the right cleaning methods must be applied to clean the carpet and still maintain its good looks. Baking soda provides a memorably appropriate solution as the perfect cleaning agent.